The Sheepdog Coalition

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Advertise with us! For opportunities email our Admin.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: Kershaw Tactical Blur

As with any item marked and marketed as 'tactical', I'm automatically weary of it's practical use. I'm pleased to present to you - the Kershaw Tactical Blur - practical EDC.


The first thing I look for in a practical EDC folder is the pocket clip or otherwise, it's retention device. After seeing the out-of-shape clip on the SOG Flash II I've made it a priority to make sure the clip is attached directly to the body, with more than one screw holding it in place. The Blur, even in it's 'tactical' formation (which is little more than a different grip texture and a flat black colouration) has a well designed pocket clip, found often on Kershaw models.

The technical specs can be found all over the internet:
  • Sandvik 13C26 or 14C28N black coated stainless steel serrated Tanto blade
  • black anodized aluminum handle
  • 3 3/8 inch blade
  • 4.5 inch closed length
  • weighs 4.2 oz  


The knife fills out my hand and is well balanced when the blade is locked open. The blade has grooved thumb studs to engage the assisted-open mechanism - a torsion spring design I'm familiar with after rebuilding my Clash. The blade flicks open with authority and stays open. I'm not about to run any stress tests on this particular blade because it's another loaner from a collector in my area.

The only thing that really turns me off of this knife is the lack of a flipper on the back end of the blade. I'm sure it's just because I'm used to using them, but it's a feature I wish this knife had.


A good blade - a fine handle - a safe locking mechanism and a quick open. At around 50 bucks, I would buy this knife for EDC - maybe with a different blade shape I'd be more likely to drop some more coin on it, but no more than 50 bucks. It's a good knife, but the 'tactical' label, the flat black colouring and the blade shape might give you some unwanted attention - depending on it's use.

1 comment:

  1. It's a great knife, but the tanto edge seems mostly useless except for opening packages and cutting through tape. The tanto is really only good for shallow penetration piercing, but for "tactical" uses I'd prefer a good old fashioned drop point blade, particularly in a self defense setting. I will admit it looks cool, but sadly the word "tactical" seems to be synonymous with "looks cool but not that functional" these days when in reality it should mean the opposite.

    ReplyDelete